The Rebuild v3.0

Well as anyone that has been following along will know, 2015 was a rough year for me and my car.  Aside from the 3 front ends we bolted onto the car over the season to keep it looking kind of straight, we ended up pulling the frame straight twice and destroying another 2 transmissions.

IMG_20160224_202553

So over the winter it was time to re-think some things and get back to having fun with the car.

insave12816791_472380036290327_2068536125_n

Not a day after dropping the car off with my body guy…. He sends me a picture of his subaru front clip sitting on the front end of my freshly chopped off front end.  This man works fast!

IMG_20160324_202427

From there on it was time to bend some tube.  Big thanks to Jamie from Metal Supermarkets in Richmond for getting the material delivered next day for me!  Awesome service if you need anything metal go talk to him.

insave12599415_535586503268743_737969908_n

Main Tubes are done!  Time to get on to the main structure for the rad/intercooler.

IMG_20160421_175953

The next time I stopped by, it was getting very close for me to be able to take it home and pop the motor in.  One thing I’ll recommend that we didn’t have time to do is make that top bar removable.  Makes putting the motor in MUCH easier.

IMG_20160421_180442

Oh Yeah.  I bought a hood vent.

IMG_20160421_180420

Taking a moment to see what my “headlights” will look like once they are mounted.

download_20160425_080225

The removable bash bar setup Ross made.  We looked into the idea of more bracing but decided a piece of 1.5″ .120 wall DOM was probably sturdy enough.

IMG_20160430_221546

And a rear bar with a jack point that tucks nicely under the bumper!

IMG_20160501_001945

One last look with the headlight on before I take it home and drop the motor in!

To give you an idea of what was left at this point.  This was May 1, 2016.  On May 28 I had to be on a trailer, done and headed down to PARC in Oregon for Final Bout which had already been paid for and committed to.  Let the games begin!

IMG_20160505_195753

First thing I did when I got home was put my new subframe in with the Villains rack collars which ended up moving the rack forward just over an inch from it’s original location when we were done.

IMG_20160506_212123 IMG_20160506_212058

Then it was onto mounting up the GKTech Rack Extension and the Mis-alignment ends.  What a difference!  Removed almost all of my bump steer and got my steering feeling much better!

IMG_20160511_201141

Installed my fresh new ACT Clutch and got ready to put it in the car.

IMG_20160518_175532

After getting the car in and running the stock harness around the tubes, my crew chief, Kevin Wall decided it was time to remove all the unused wiring.  Let the cutting and tracing begin! (May 18, 10 days left)

Brb… Took a break to help Kevin race up the Knox Mountain Hillclimb.  

IMG_20160524_230604

Testing to make sure the car fit in our “booth”.

IMG_20160525_200028

Time to paint the beast!  So much to do I stopped taking many pictures but we got this done.  HUGE Thanks to Zack and Ian for helping me get this done.

IMG_20160525_225824

First layer down!  Oh right…. It’s not going blue 😉

IMG-20160526-WA0001

Some sparkle.  Looks like a whole new car again!

IMG-20160527-WA0008

After a week of stressing out because My Tomei Reytec lost it’s tune and RG wasn’t able to get me in to re-do my old tune.  Evolution in Maple Ridge bailed me out in a big way working with unfamiliar software in a different language on an unfamiliar car but they did a EXCELLENT job and we rolled it off the dyno 4pm friday May 27.  It made 350/305 and we were ready for the weekend finally!

Time to go shred some tires!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *